2 cups chopped fruit or frozen fruit
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp honey/agave/maple syrup
2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Prepare fresh fruit as needed; Remove stems, pits, seeds and skin. Chop large fruits into smaller pieces. Berries can be left whole.
- Place the fruit into a saucepan and cook over medium heat until it breaks down and becomes syrupy (about 5-10 minutes). Further break down the fruit until the consistency you prefer.
- Take if off the heat and stir in the sweetener of choice and the lemon juice.
- Then stir in the chia seeds and let stand 5 minutes until thickened.
- If you prefer a thicker consistency, stir in more chia seeds 1 teaspoon at a time. If you'd prefer not to have visible chia seeds in your finished jam, puree the jam in a blender or with an immersion blender. If you'd like to keep a somewhat chunky texture, blend just a portion of the jam with the chia seeds, then stir it back in with the rest of the jam.
- Once the jam has cooled to room temperature, transfer to a jar and store it in the fridge up to 2 weeks. The jam will further thicken and become more set once it is chilled.
- Enjoy your chia jam with your morning oatmeal, toast or even on rice crackers as a snack!